Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How it Feels to Be Colored Me

There are a few labels I give myself. I feel sometimes that I am over weight when I am around a bunch of people that are skinnier than me. I also label myself as a very shy person until I break out my shell. I label myself as a funny man but most people never get to see it because I am too shy to show it. I also see myself as a gamer. I also label myself as a county boy, or a redneck sometimes but I don’t show that all the time. I am also a hunter. Those are some of the things I label myself as.


In my day-to-day life these labels fallow me everywhere I go. When I walk around and see skinny people I think about how I am overweight. I consider myself to be funny because I make jokes and make a lot of people laugh at me. When I am in class I sit and look around at people and I don’t know what to say to them because I don’t know how to start a conversation and I feel uncomfortable around new people. I am a gamer because I play a lot of video games. I am a county boy because I love to be out in the county and with my dogs and working outside. I label myself as a hunter because I hunt deer, turkey, squirrels, rabbits, and raccoons. That is how my labels fit into my day-to-day life.

I feel that all people are different no matter what they look like everyone has different personalities. Looks don’t matter in my opinion. In my day-to-day day I feel that Hurston and I are the same. We have these feelings about our self and we do not let other people know it. She feels like a black person up against a whit wall like I feel like I am hiding behind a very small tree. That is just some of the ways that I am the same as her.

1 comment:

  1. HI Clay,

    You write,

    "In my day-to-day day I feel that Hurston and I are the same. We have these feelings about our self and we do not let other people know it. She feels like a black person up against a whit wall like I feel like I am hiding behind a very small tree. That is just some of the ways that I am the same as her."

    I am glad that you have listed some similarities to Hurston. Coming from a different time period it may feel like you do not have a lot in common with someone like the author, but you have listed numerous examples to suggest otherwise.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete